Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our Beloved Gift From God

First of all, I would love to tell you what we’ve decided to name our beloved gift from God, Matthew David. It was very important to us to choose a name that has great significance. After searching for the perfect name we decided on Matthew because it means gift from God. That is absolutely how we always want to remember him, a precious gift to our family, just wrapped a little differently. Here is a quote borrowed from a website for others going through a similar diagnosis, “God’s gifts are never what we expect. The trick is not to be confused by the wrapping paper, but to be sure to open the gift.” His middle name, David, means beloved, and he definitely is. I was also drawn to this name because of Grandpa and Grandma B’s beloved son David. I thought it would be a special way to honor his life.

I feel like God has been teaching me so much lately. It is hard to put it together in a cohesive format, so forgive me if I ramble and jump around a bit.

One of the main things I think God is teaching me is to walk through this world with my eyes more open to the pain of those around me. Yes, what I am going through hurts. A lot. But I am certainly not the only one who suffers, nor is my suffering the greatest there is to bear. One friend suffers from the loss of a very close relationship, another from watching her father go through a difficult time; yet another from an illness that causes her body pain daily, and a brother from the devastating toll of the flood. The list goes on and on. I always thought myself to be a fairly compassionate person. To be honest, though, I believe I get far too caught up in my own world. I hope that this experience will cause me to continually become more in tune to the lives of those around me so as to help bear their burdens by lifting them up in prayer, helping them physically, or by simply telling them I care.

This world is certainly not as God had originally intended. When sin entered it, so did suffering and pain. But we are not to lose hope; God has a plan to redeem this imperfect world. “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world” ~John 16:33 As Pastor Mark brought up on Sunday, the Bible says our life is like a vapor, a mist that last for a moment. This fact isn’t brought up to depress us, but to help us realize that something far greater is coming. Even though our life on earth is a vapor, God cares deeply for us. If in doubt, read Psalm 139. For those who accept God’s free gift of salvation, we will have an eternity in heaven where there is no more pain or sorrow “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” ~Revelation 21:4

I remember hearing a message a long time ago about realizing that we need to hold all things with an open hand. God often does bless us with many material things like clothing, the latest electronic gadgets, cars, homes, etc. Yet, none of these things last forever. So we don’t hold onto material things with a clenched fist, but instead an open hand. We know they can be taken away as easily as they came. And while I believe He does give us these things to enjoy, they will never be the source of true joy anyway.

This open hand word picture isn’t too difficult to accept with regard to material things, but what about people? What about the fact that God asks us to hold the people we love so much with an open hand? That’s much, much harder, isn’t it? Yet, it is still true. We want to cling to those we love so tightly and never let them go. . . We need to trust God with loved ones too. This relates to relatively easy things like letting your children drive by themselves for the first time or sending them off to college. (Not always easy.) It also applies to the much more difficult times like watching life slip away from your husband, brother, or child while you stand by watching, helpless to stop it. In Psalm 139:16 we read “All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be.” In other words He is in control of the number of days each of us lives on this earth and His timing is perfect.

A friend recommended I let people know how they should respond to us. I can understand that you might worry that if you mention him, you will make us sad. Or, maybe you just don’t know what to say, you might be afraid that what you do say may upset us. Please don’t worry about saying the wrong thing. I realize it is awkward to talk to us about this. Speaking for myself, whenever anyone does mention him to me, no matter what you say, what I hear is, “I care.” That is all I need and I really need it. Another thing I have found I relish more than ever lately are all of the hugs. Just a warning though, they help me so much that I may never want to let go. Even though God’s peace is so overwhelming right now and I am usually doing well emotionally, I have another warning - if you ask me how I am doing, please be prepared for the answer, it may involve many tears – usually not, but I never know.

I have been asked how people should pray for us. Do they pray that God calls Matthew home sooner rather than later? This would make the delivery easier and allow for us to move on and heal sooner. (Maybe) However, the truth is, my desire is to carry him for as long as possible, I never want to say good-bye. I look forward to every little kick and movement I feel. I know that, except for God’s divine intervention, even greater pain and loss is coming, but I cherish each day I have with him here on earth. I suppose the best prayer you could pray is simply that God’s will be done and that the family and I have the strength to accept God’s perfect timing and the peace He promises through it all. Also, please continue to pray that our beloved gift from God has a great impact on many lives, that God will use his life in ways we could never have imagined possible.

Thank you again for the notes, calls, and cards. Every kind word, even the simplist "I care," has helped so much more than you realize. God bless you!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristi,

Wow - I don't know what else to say. I am in awe of how God has spoken through you. Would you mind if I sent an email to a some friends with your blog address so they too can hear God's voice and be blessed like our family has? God will use this to impact people!

We love you and Matthew David!
The Kepharts

Anonymous said...

Kristi-

As I sit here trying to grasp everything you have written, I keep having visions of the butterfly we saw today. Daniel, Dawson, Thomas and I all thought the butterfly was injured. If he wasn't injured, why was he hanging around looking like something was wrong?

We all knew we shouldn't touch it- we wouldn't want to hurt it worse. But it shouldn't come into the building either. It stayed a while and then after someone blew on it gently, it flew away.

We love you sooooo much and you are such a blessing to all of us. Matthew is your blessing. God, please take ALL of the Nanke's and hold them tight.

WE LOVE YOU GIRL!!!

Dana Medin

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

I have never met you, and only know you through mutual friends (Wes and Donna Kephart). I know there is nothing I can say that will help other than letting you know you are being prayed for. Our experience was both shock and surprise at 8 1/2 months. That was four years ago, and to be honest, not everyone in the family has to complete the grief. I can only imagine what it would be like to know it is coming. Your approach of savoring very minute, while being prepared for the worst is perfect. Don't be discouraged through the times of pain. They are not weakness, but humanness. A couple of things helped me, mileage may vary: writing. I actually became a bit of a poet for a short time. Putting stuff on paper helped me get it out quietly, personally. With so many others hurting, it seemed prudent to not add to their stuff. It allowed an outlet. That actually may be more helpful for your husband. The other thing, was the knowledge that, in reality, what happened was the introduction of one more pristine soul entering the gates of Heaven. What is a little suffering on my part when compared to the eternal bliss of little Spencer? Then we had Miranda, who would not have been born had Spencer been. To quite the blogs, OMG! I can't imagine life without her. I really think she acquired two person's worth of personality! Sorry, I am rambling. Anyway, to make a short story long, you are in my prayers.

Bill Nolte

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

God has brought you to mind so many times since we have moved. Your testimony is strong and a huge encouragement as well as delivers an eye-opening message. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow with the ones we love. I love the name you have picked out. Matthew David and the rest of your family will continue to be in our prayers! Thanks for sharing what God has laid on your heart and has allowed you to experience! It will be used by God to touch many people!

Love you!
Kristy

Mark Forstrom said...

Kristi,

I came across you blog and just read through it all and i am in awe of how God is teaching you so many deep things through this adversity. Your attitude is unbelievable.

Thank you for sharing it with us--we are growing with you. (I am humbled to hear that my little sermonette added some perspective to your situation.)

Please know that the Forstroms will be holding you, Kent, Brandon, TJ, Sarah, and Matthew up in prayer as you face whatever the future holds.

Mark for the Forstroms